“This is a unique period in time,” said BIPOCann’s Founder & CEO, Ernest Toney, in a recent discussion that addressed social justice in cannabis, “We have an opportunity to create an industry that is different from traditional industries.”
Welcome to BIPOCann — a trailblazing company founded in July 2020, in Denver, Colorado, with a mission to increase BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, People of Color) visibility to advance representation and economic equity in the legal cannabis industry.
BIPOCann is passionate about uplifting cannabis entrepreneurs and professionals, creating amplification platforms for members to be seen, heard, and valued.
In the cannabis industry’s highly competitive landscape, there are many adversities BIPOC and social equity business owners face on the wide, rocky, and long road to success. We believe it is essential to spotlight the perseverance and resilience shown by current owners so the fast-changing, ever-evolving industry keeps doors open for underrepresented cannabis brands, ancillary business owners, and professionals.
BIPOCann helps (with our heads and hearts) minority and social equity businesses overcome hurdles to become assets in the cannabis industry. We assist businesses from entry to expansion to help end economic gaps, guided by the entrepreneurial spirit.
From knowledge sharing to business mentorship to advocacy, we facilitate growth and are an important connection between the community and corporate cannabis.
Join us and support our efforts to propel minority entrepreneurs and professionals toward a brighter economic future in the cannabis industry.
Founder & CEO
Ernest Toney leads BIPOCann’s strategic efforts to improve equitable representation for BIPOC entrepreneurs, business owners, and professionals in the cannabis industry’s state-legal markets.
Prior to BIPOCann, Ernest managed global marketing initiatives for Marijuana Business Daily, the leading business (B2B) news source for the cannabis industry in the US and Canada, and producer of MJBizCon – the award-winning trade show and expo for cannabis professionals, held annually in Las Vegas.
During his tenure, Ernest grew global partnerships for the company’s family of brands and led marketing campaigns that increased attendance at MJBizDaily’s business conferences in North America, Latin America, and Europe.
- MJBizCon | Moderator, “Creating and Sustaining a Just & Equitable Cannabis Industry”
- Cannabis Quality Conference & Expo | Moderator, “Economic Equity: Brand Building, Strategic Partnerships & Growth in Cannabis”
- Cannabis Opportunities & Social Equity Town Hall | Panelist, “Uplifting BlPOC: What’s Working Nationally in the Cannabis Industry”
- Benzinga Cannabis Capital Conference
- Moderator, “Social Equity: Translating Policy Into Action”
- Moderator, “Invest in Emerging BIPOC Cannabis Brands”
- MJBizCon | Moderator, “Strengthening Social Equity in Cannabis Through Strategic Partnerships”
- Cannabis Marketing Summit | Moderator, “After Licensing Happens: Removing Barriers for Social Equity Businesses & How Marketing Can Help”
- Cornell University | Panelist, “BIPOC Cananbis Business Panel: Challenges and Victories in the Cannabis Industry”
- Global Cannabis Intelligence Summit | Panelist, “The Cannabis Industry has a Unique Opportunity to Address Racial Inequity: Here’s How”
- MJBizCon | Moderator, “Increasing Minority Participation in the Cannabis Industry’s New and Emerging Markets”
- Black CannaBusiness Conference | Moderator, “Cannabis Policy on the East Coast”
- NACB Social Equity Summit | Panelist, “Minority-Focused Associations in Cannabis: Ready With Real Help”
- GCI Virtual Summit | Panelist, “Social Justice and Running CommunityProjects Within Cannabis”
- Emerge Virtual Cannabis Conference | Panelist, “Cannabis Industry Inclusion Update”
- Cannabis Marketing Summit | Panelist, “7 Tips for Infusing Your Cannabis B2B Marketing with Diversity”
- NACB Social Equity Virtual Conference | Moderator, “The Journey of Social Equity Licensees: Stories from the Front Lines”
- Cannabis Quality Conference | Moderator, “The Future of Cannabis: A Discussion on Social Justice & How the Cannabis Industry Can Succeed”
- Cannabis Sustainability Symposium | Moderator, “Social Equity Best Practices for the Cannabis Industry”
- Board of Directors, Industrial Hemp Research Foundation
- Board of Directors, USA Ultimate
- Advisor, Black CannaBusiness Conference & Expo
- Grant Reviewer, Colorado Cannabis Business Office (2022)
- Advertising & Marketing Jury, Clio Cannabis Awards (2021)